About hosting and latency

alejandro

Hello,

I'd like to ask for a bit of experienced knowledge...

How much is a good latency for a shared hosting?

-------------

Well, better offer a little background:

I'm using ICDSoft as a hosting provider for several of my clients websites (small and low traffic), and very happy with it. But, their servers are located in Amsterdam, and when I do a ping the result is about 120ms.

So I could change provider and choose a closer one with better ping times, I found at least two good providers with ~45ms and ~75ms.

As I understand that for each request the browser needs to make to the server that small bit of time is added, for example if the site makes 50 requests:

120 ms (server 1) - 75 ms (server 2) = 45 ms

50 requests x 45 ms = 2250 ms = 2.2 secs difference in response

I understand too, that not only latency matters but server performance, how many users are sharing... so probabily there is not the 2.2 sec diference finally. But, and now I reformulate the question:

Is latency worth enough to change hosting provider given those broad numbers, in your opinion?

Thanks, Alejandro.

That's a hard subject to talk about, with many different opinions on the right thing to do.  

Here are a few resources that may help you out

Hopefully, others with more knowledge of this subject will chime in and provide practical sound advice.

That's a hard subject to talk about, with many different opinions on the right thing to do.  

Yes it seems so, I've been searching but haven´t found anything definitive. Always the lower latency, the better, but to what measure?

Add to this that is not clear the benefits of server location in regards to SEO.

Thanks for the links.

Your ping comparison is flawed as 50 requests wouldn't lead to 2sec difference. 50 request with 45ms difference would result in about this:

45ms (initial request)

45ms * 49/4 (about 4 concurrent connections to single domain)

-----

596.25 ms

So the 45ms add up to about half a second, depending on server/browser. And 50 requests is not really a small number in that regard. Throw in a second domain – own or external cdn or even simply a second subdomain to the same site – and you'll get double the concurrent requests. 

• Like 2

Ah! Thank you, that´s a nice piece of knowledge. I see then the impact of latency is greatly reduced, although not neligible in case of the 45ms server:

120 - 45 (server with 45ms latency) = 75ms

75 ms initial

+ 75 * 49/4

= 993,75 ms

Then it adds almost a second, before any optimization, of course.

Throw in a second domain – own or external cdn or even simply a second subdomain to the same site – and you'll get double the concurrent requests.

I trialled a subdomain to get concurrent requests. It worked, but the domain lookup time for the subdomain killed and benefit I got from concurrent requests. How does one get around this, how can I set the domain caching to say two weeks to minimise domain lookup delay? Or am I on the wrong track?