Multiple editors editing at the same time

alexcapes

I'm working on a site that has 12x languages (and 12x translators) and following on from working out how to create roles that only allow editing of one language, the client have requested that these translators be able to edit at the same time.

What are the possibilities here with Processwire?

I'm thinking (potentially) 12x users editing the same page is a nightmare of overwritten changes etc. Has anyone had any similar requests from clients for multiple users editing at the same time?

I think the solution may need to be 12x languages manually added so the page tree is:

Home

- English

-- Articles

--- Article title

--- Article title

- Spanish

-- Articles

--- Article title

--- Article title

- French

-- Articles

--- Article title

--- Article title

etc

However I'd prefer not to do this as it's *a lot* of duplication and also not using the inbuilt language options of Processwire.

Any help/thoughts on the best way to tackle this much appreciated.

That's one way, but you will be changing all the concept of the website only because of this problem. My suggestion is that you tell the editors to write outside of PW and send their texts to someone that is responsible for pasting them in place. This is a good practice anyway and will prevent other problems as: different formatting, loosing all the work because of a page refresh or browser crashing, etc.

• Like 1

That's one way, but you will be changing all the concept of the website only because of this problem. My suggestion is that you tell the editors to write outside of PW and send their texts to someone that is responsible for pasting them in place. This is a good practice anyway and will prevent other problems as: different formatting, loosing all the work because of a page refresh or browser crashing, etc.

Definitely take your point on this. I'm dealing with a large corporation that have 12x teams dealing in 12x languages and established processes that I may just have to work around. Hopefully I can persuade them that writing outside of PW then having one editor to paste in place is a good route to go.

this is already on the roadmap for PW3.0 Fall/Winter 2015: http://processwire.com/about/roadmap/

but of course i don't know details ;)

Really great to see this on the roadmap! I wonder if there's anyone who knows more details on this?

Definitely take your point on this. I'm dealing with a large corporation that have 12x teams dealing in 12x languages and established processes that I may just have to work around. Hopefully I can persuade them that writing outside of PW then having one editor to paste in place is a good route to go.

Good luck with it. In my experience, companies like this tend to make decisions on whats currently available, what fits around their process and whats least likely to disrupt their complex workflows. And rightly so but maybe you could flag that sometime before the end of the year that this functionality will be available.

Good luck with it. In my experience, companies like this tend to make decisions on whats currently available, what fits around their process and whats least likely to disrupt their complex workflows. And rightly so but maybe you could flag that sometime before the end of the year that this functionality will be available.

I'll definitely flag that this functionailty is on the horizon but sadly I think it may be too late for this current project.

I've already put together a prototype, using multiple languages in separate posts, then utilising URL segments and also page fields to connect the translations to the 'master' English version. Translators are then only allowed permission to edit on the templates of their language.

The downside here is it's a very fiddly and time-consuming setup, with more templates/fields than I'd normally like to create. However I've got it working well and Processwire as always is flexible enough to be able to cope.