Basic installation question (server location / directory)

Bill*

Hi, I'm new to web development. On the installation instructions, it says, 

"Unzip the ProcessWire installation file to the location where you want it installed on your web server."

My question is, does it matter what location you choose? Would you ever need to go back and change this later? Is it important or helpful to name this directory in a certain way so that file management becomes simpler?

Thanks so much!

Hi @Bill* and welcome to PW and the world of web development in general!

In most shared hosting environments you'll want to unzip it to a folder called: public_html. Sometimes there might be a /var/www/ or yourusername/public_html or something like that.

The key thing is that generally it should be at the root of your web folder structure. If in doubt you should ask your host, but if you can view a page that links to a default index.html file (or maybe home.html) if you unzip processwire where this file lives, you should be fine.

Hope that helps.

Thanks @adrian. I do have a directory in which there is a home.html file.

Next question: the installation zip file contains a folder called 'ProcessWire-master'. Am I to copy that folder into the root folder, or should the contents of the 'ProcessWire-master' folder go into the root directory (if the contents go there, there will be 14 new folders and files in the root directory).

Thanks again!

You don't want the ProcessWire-master folder, just its contents.

Many of those folders you see will be removed during installation. In particular, all the site- .... folders will be removed except the one you choose and it will be renamed to simply "site".

EDIT: Too slow - @LostKobrakai typed while I was distracted with a phone call :)