For apps like Google Authenticator, Authy, and other TOTP-based authenticator applications. Requires ProcessWire 3.0.109+.
TOTP Two Factor Authentication for ProcessWire
TOTP means Time-based One-Time Password algorithm, which is a standard used by many 2FA authenticator apps such as the following (all available on both Android and iOS):
- Google Authenticator
- Authy Authenticator by Twilio
- Microsoft Authenticator
- LastPass Authenticator
- And several others…
- ProcessWire 3.0.109 or newer.
- PHP 5.6 or newer.
- For users wanting to enable 2FA, it requires that they have a TOTP authenticator app installed, typically on a mobile phone.
How to install
- Place the files for this module in
- In the admin, go to Modules > Refresh.
- Go to Modules > Site > Tfa, and click “Install” for this module.
How to use
- Edit your user profile in the ProcessWire admin.
- Scroll to the bottom and you should see a new field for “Two factor authentication”.
- Select the “TOTP” option and click Submit (note: it’ll ask for your password first).
- After submitting the change, go back to the field and it will want you to open your authenticator application to scan the QR code it provides.
- After scanning the QR code, your authenticator app will provide a 6 digit code for you to enter in ProcessWire. This is just to confirm that everything is working. After doing this, click submit, and you are done.
Once two-factor authentication is enabled, when you login, there will be a second step where it will ask you to enter a code. You can get this code by opening your chosen authenticator app.
- TwoFactorAuth TOTP library by RobThree (license: MIT)
- QR Code Generator library by Kazuhiko Arase (license: MIT)
- TfaTotp ProcessWire module by Ryan Cramer (license: MIT or MPL 2)