Repeatable Fields

ryan

Running into some problems when uploading images when logged in as a non-admin user.

I have a repeatable field set up with an image upload and a few other input types. I can edit and save the other input types fine, and edit all of the other non-repeatable fields on the page (including images), but when I upload an image within the repeater, I get the following error:

AoJ2u.jpg

I can save the page successfully when editing other fields within the repeater, but not the image field itself. It fails with the above error after uploading. I doubt it is related to roles because I can edit other fields without an issue. It works as admin, however.

Things I've tried:

-edit + save other fields within the repeater, and then try to upload an image

-updating my wire directory to the latest from github

-creating a new user, with a new role, and adding this role to the page template (same issues)

Any ideas? Thanks!

I think we need bug reports using github. :) This isn't well for Ryan, as he misses things in the threads.

I posted earlier, that I experienced weird issue when cloning pages that has repeater fields. They suddenly get lost. I think Ryan simply missed it in the flood of posts. Along with some others I already reported and didn't get fixed for whatever reason.

Also I think this repeater stuff still needs throughout testing as it is still very fresh and not tested a lot. I'm considering using it in the next project but with all those issues arising it will only be good for not so important/test projects. What you think?

EDIT: Just realized that the repeater module anyway is still noted as "BETA TEST ONLY, NOT FOR PRODUCTION USE." But still some place to have a better overview of issues/bugs would be great.

Also I think this repeater stuff need throughout testing as it is still very fresh and not tested a lot. I'm considering using it in the next project but with all those issues arising it will only be good for not so important/test projects. What you think?

I think module info says it's pretty clearly:

Maintains a collection of fields that are repeated for any number of times. BETA TEST ONLY, NOT FOR PRODUCTION USE.

I think we need bug reports using github. :) This isn't well for Ryan, as he misses things in the threads.

Good point. I'll submit an issue to github. I guess I imagined github issues being only for absolutely positively confirmed bugs, and I wanted to see if someone on the forums have used images in repeater fields as a non-admin user with positive experience.

I think it is totally fine to report bugs here also, but after they are confirmed someone should add the bug to github also. I know Ryan has done this before, reported an issue with link to the discussion. I found it little bit rude what is with many projects, that someone comes to a forum, posts a possible bug and all he/she gets as a reward is "If you think it is a bug, then post an issue to whatever system we are using. But not here."

As pw grows in popularity, having good conventions for this kind of stuff will be important. I think I have had pretty similar way like what wes described: if I am sure that it is an issue, then I post it directly to github. But if it is something that might be my misunderstanding or something local - I post it here.

It's what I did aswell. You're right that before opening an bug report it should be posted in the forums... my brain fart was mainly due to the issue that I aswell started posting in main threads like here, instead of simply a new one, and it get's lost and I don't like to repeat asking and I feel for Ryan. So it's mainly my issue posting my bug in here.

---

Sevarf2, I tried to duplicate this over the weekend, but so far not having luck. My repeater had an datetime field that auto-populated the current date and also had a datepicker on it. I tried saving them, deleting them, etc. I tried this with both setting the "ready pages" number and 0, 1 and 3. I'm wondering if there might be any other factors -- Are there any other fields in your repeater? Are you using the default admin theme or another? And any other modules installed?

Thanks,

Ryan

I just tested and got same behavior as Sevarf2. I added simply a date field autopopulate todays date and after adding new element on page, and hit save... I actually got additional one! Once I try to delete them and hit save. I gets more and more and more new items.

Running into some problems when uploading images when logged in as a non-admin user.

I have a repeatable field set up with an image upload and a few other input types. I can edit and save the other input types fine, and edit all of the other non-repeatable fields on the page (including images), but when I upload an image within the repeater, I get the following error:

AoJ2u.jpg

I can save the page successfully when editing other fields within the repeater, but not the image field itself. It fails with the above error after uploading. I doubt it is related to roles because I can edit other fields without an issue. It works as admin, however.

Things I've tried:

-edit + save other fields within the repeater, and then try to upload an image

-updating my wire directory to the latest from github

-creating a new user, with a new role, and adding this role to the page template (same issues)

Any ideas? Thanks!

I can reproduce, got same issue here. Plain install, no other modules except language. Simple repeater with text field and image field. Users not admin/superuser user can't upload images.

I can reproduce, got same issue here. Plain install, no other modules except language. Simple repeater with text field and image field. Users not admin/superuser user can't upload images.

Thanks for confirming this, Soma. I'm going to write a github issue right now.

Thanks wes for submitting!

I got another issue which was reported already by me and someone else.

When I add an new repeater element on a page with text, image field, and upload an image only, after saving the page, the element disappears. Though after adding an new one again, the image is still there. Though after saving it then again it stays there as it should.

And to add it once again: :)

When cloning pages that has repeater fields. The repeater elements added on the orginial page suddenly get lost, and the new cloned page doesn't have them copied over.

I had to try it on another installation, but was finally able to duplicate the autopopulating date issue. It turned out to be a rather complex thing, took me a couple hours to figure out. :) But I did figure it out, and committed it yesterday.

I also fixed the issue Wes mentioned with the access in a file/image field. There were more considerations with file/image fields. The fact that they get submitted by ajax is rather confusing for the repeater. So if you added a new item, uploaded an image, then entered a description or sorted it, then description or sort would be lost. This issue has been fixed.

When I add an new repeater element on a page with text, image field, and upload an image only, after saving the page, the element disappears. Though after adding an new one again, the image is still there. Though after saving it then again it stays there as it should.

I think this might be related to the issues mentioned above that were fixed yesterday. I just tried to duplicate here and couldn't, so am hoping I got this one fixed. :) Though if you could double check that it fixed it there too, that'd be great.

When cloning pages that has repeater fields. The repeater elements added on the orginial page suddenly get lost, and the new cloned page doesn't have them copied over.

Sorry I missed this before, thanks for letting me know. This doesn't sound good. I will definitely avoid cloning any pages with repeaters on them until I can get into this one. I will try to fix asap, hopefully early next week.

Hi there,

my question is: can I use the new RepeaterField as a module in processwire 2.2.0 stabel?

Thanks a lot for your reply, and sorry, if I should have missed the answer in this thread... ???

And Ryan: Thanks a lot for your processwire, all your work and all your great ideas. I really love it!!

Regards!

Edit: 2012-03-28-1416 EST The below was wrongly reported by me, I still have a problem but as stated here it's not to do with Repeatable fields.

Have I hit a bug (I doubt it) or a gap in my knowledge (I bet $1,000,000) — I am using a (beta) Repeatable field to allow tags to be added to pages.

The tags are working fine.

I'm now adding a user to the system and setting about limiting their access to sensible stuff. However, I've found that even with that user set to have all permissions, they never see the '+ Create New' link to add another tag (page via AsmSelect + the repeatable field). The superuser can see it fine.

Pretty please, can anyone help me work out if this is this a bug or me failing to set something to do with permissions?

Edited by alan

Is the field in question using the 'Repeater' fieldtype or the 'Page' fieldtype?

Oh I am very sorry @Ryan, it is a Page field; I am using a Repeater field but in another place nothing to do with this.

#embarrassed

PS: In which case feel free to delete this post(s) as they are on the wrong thread and I'll post elsewhere.

Edited by alan

Thanks a lot for the super fast answer.

Curiously, my 2.2.0 installation does not offer the repeater field. The module is simply not existing. I know, it's a little bit off topic, but is it right, that updating the version of Processwire is simply replacing the "wire" folder?

Tranks again and

best regards.

PS: I found the information her: http://processwire.com/api/directories/ I'm afraid of crashing everything.. ;)

@jan here's a video and below it a link to more on the repeater.

I've not re-read but it may be it's a module you add in (see 'Modules' top right in your admin).

Re updating PW, I think there's a more generic 'docs' page than this, but this should help. I took the plunge and started using SourceTree (Mac git client) and now upgrade my PWs with that (reading Git Pro book now so I can get to understand this better, I am a total newb). Good luck and enjoy the best CMS I've seen since, literally, since I first found one called, back then, WordPress 1.2 ;)

FieldtypeRepeater was added after 2.2 was initially released. The current version number should read 2.2.0.1. It is true that all you need to do is replace your /wire/ directory with the new one. But rename or backup up the old one, and backup your DB to be safe. It is also recommended that you replace your /index.php and /.htaccess files with the new ones, though I don't think that will be necessary for going from 2.2.0 to 2.2.0.1. After you replace your /wire/ dir, the first pageview will produce an error. Just hit reload in your browser and then it should be back.

Thanks a lot. Now I got it.

Only as a short summary - is there still potential of errors using the repeater?

You should not:

Clone a template, that uses repeater fields?

Does anything else work fine?

@jan Although it's only a tiny piece of evidence I am finding my use of a Repeater in a site I am developing perfectly reliable/stable.

I had missed the point about avoiding cloning, thanks for pointing that out — as Ryan notes this will be worked on and I am confident ironed out as part of getting Repeating Fields out of beta.

• 1 month later...

I'm using this example from earlier on in this thread:

$repeater = wire('fields')->get('my_repeater');
$item = $repeater->type->getBlankRepeaterPage($page, $repeater);

$item->title = 'Test item';
$item->summary = 'This is just a test item';

$page->my_repeater->add($item);
$page->save();

I notice that when I go to edit the page created via the API via the admin area that the repeater is showing the "Add" link and not the item I added to the repeater.

It does however show my entry when I click the "Add Item" link, so it works in that it's been saved into the the system, but for some reason until I save that page by clicking Save when editing it in the admin, it doesn't realise that the repeater has an entry.

Any ideas?

(As I'm a glutton for punishment, one of the fields inside the repeater was a file field, so I had lots of fun there with the file field being able to accept multiple files and the repeater being able to accept multiple sets of that field :D).