Bookmarking

Jonathan Lahijani

Is anyone here a heavy bookmarker like I am?

Typically I'll get most of my news from Hacker News and Slashdot, followed by some great blogs on a daily basis.  I usually never have time to read an article in depth when I first come across it, so I'll bookmark it for later.  Or, if I quickly need to get up to date on some topic, I'll do a search (usually by tags) and familiarize myself with important stuff I've bookmarked in the past.

After having used browser native based bookmarking (Firefox and Chrome), then Delicious, then Diigo, then Pinboard and becoming frustrated by all of them for various reasons and limitations, I've decided to roll my own little single user (and non social) bookmarking system with ProcessWire (with Bootstrap 3 as the frontend framework).  It's still a work in progress, but it takes the best of all those systems with my own power features.  It also utilizes ajax for certain actions.

I'll need to create a Chrome extension to tie it all together.

I have to say however, after working non-stop on it for hours on end and not being able to think of anything else, it's looking slick.  Damn you ProcessWire for making this so enjoyable. :-)

Jonathan

• Like 13

Greetings,

Funny you ask this, because I have recently been thinking about how complex my bookmarks have become in Firefox.  I am always organizing them.

It's worth the effort, but I would be glad to hear about systems people use to better organize and use their bookmarks!

Below is a screen shot of my bookmark folders in Firefox, which are arranged alphabetically.  Sorry, the shot gets cut off at "u"!

post-802-0-35903000-1375365127_thumb.jpg

And this doesn't even show all the sub-folders!

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 2

Is this something similar to instapaper? I currently use a mix of chrome bookmarking and instapaper to keep track of articles I want to read again (or later). I find instapaper easy and fast to use but will be interested to see what you come up with

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Here's a demo of what I've built.  It's become my primary bookmarking system:

I didn't demonstrate it in the video, but this system works amazingly on a mobile device too.  It's so easy and quick to pull up stuff I want to read when at a coffee shop or have a few minutes to kill when on the go.  I found Diigo's Android App very limiting in comparison, especially since it doesn't allow you to view all of your bookmarks on the mobile app (last time I checked).

I have no plans as of yet to release this, but I may in the near future if you are all really interested.  There are features I still want to build out as well as a lot of code cleanup and security measures that need to be implemented.

Enjoy!

Jonathan

• Like 14

Dude, this is amazing! Good job! The interface is great! You logged in and I was expecting to see a tree, then boom! I see a totally diff app. :). I like what you have done with this and taking the time to demonstrate it. It's nice to see how others have leveraged PW as a framework to build applications. We've been having this discussion whether PW is really a framework...well, there's your answer! I'd be interested to have this released, not so much that I'll use it (am not a heavy bookmarker - never used Digg and the like [gasp!!] :-X ), but as a learning platform, inspiration and showcase of what PW can do. Of course, the decision is yours. Irrespective of whether it is released or not, am really impressed. Well-done!

Cheers/k

• Like 3

Great job on this one! Impressed also on the screencast, very nice to listen to you.

I'm just curious for now about caching html. Why didn't you use the MarkupCache feature of PW? Of course your technic using a text field is also nice.

• Like 1

Beautiful work @jlahijani! Great job with the screencast too–I need to hire you to do my screencasts. :) 

I have no plans as of yet to release this, but I may in the near future if you are all really interested. 

Unless you've got other plans to produce it into an SAAS app or something, you should definitely release it. I think a lot of people would find this very useful both as a great tool to use and an impressive example to learn from. 

• Like 7

... We've been having this discussion whether PW is really a framework...well, there's your answer! I'd be interested to have this released, not so much that I'll use it (am not a heavy bookmarker - never used Digg and the like) but as a learning platform, inspiration and showcase of what PW can do. Of course, the decision is yours. Irrespective of whether it is released or not, am really impressed. Well-done!

Cheers/k

... I think a lot of people would find this very useful both as a great tool to use and an impressive example to learn from

Well said.

• 10 months later...

this is awesome!

made something like this couple of weeks ago myself but it's really basic at the moment

I made a little JS bookmarklet for sharing things to PW but jealous for your chrome app :D

main thing why I stopped is because I need to have a simple sharing option from my mobile (android) was just looking for a wrapper app or something because I'm not going to start digging into app programming at the moment

Probably I'll just use the bookmarklet on mobile as well

Ah I made the sharer saving the bookmark directly when calling it, so the window is more for editing and deletion if needed

thought it's faster, like pressing the star in Chrome ;)

• Like 1