Photo Not Available
About J.L. Hudson Department Store and Addition
The J.L. Hudson Department Store and Addition, also known as the Hudson's Building, is a now-demolished building in Detroit, Michigan, which occupied the address of 1206 Woodward Avenue. It was constructed in 1923, with additions throughout the years, before being "completed" in 1946, and named after the company's founder, Joseph Lowthian Hudson. The building was destroyed in a controlled demolition on October 24, 1998, with many people in Hart Plaza (Detroit) and Dieppe Gardens (Windsor, Ontario) watching from safe distances. The building was 33 stories high, with 29 above-ground and four basement floors, It had a floor area of 670,560 m². The high-rise was used for retail and office space, and included a restaurant and was built in the Chicago School architectural style, incorporating a great deal of brick into its materials. The J.L. Hudson Department Store and Addition was designed by Smith, Hinchman, & Grylls, and is the tallest building ever imploded, as well as the largest structural steel building ever imploded. It also holds yet another title for the company: at 2,200,000 square feet (204,000 m), it is the largest single building ever imploded.