About Cadillac Tower
Cadillac Tower is a Beaux Arts skyscraper designed by the architectural firm of Bonnah & Chaffee located at 65 Cadillac Square in downtown Detroit, Michigan, not far from the Renaissance Center. The building's materials include terra cotta and brick. It was built in 1927 as the Barlum Tower and has 40 floors, including two below ground. At the top of the tower is a tall guyed mast for local radio station WJLB. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. Cadillac Tower was the first building outside New York City and Chicago to have 40 floors. The building also houses the city of Detroit's Planning and Development Department, and its Recreation Department. Cadillac Tower's decorative cornices and parapets are of varying heights. The corner spires rise to a height of 427 feet (130 m), and the spires at the middle facade rise to the same height of the mechanical penthouse at a height of 437 feet (133 m). From 1994 to 2000, one side of the building featured a 14-story mural of Detroit Lions star player Barry Sanders. The mural was retired after a six-year deal with Nike expired. That mural was then replaced with one of Detroit Red Wings star Steve Yzerman.