Setting up Custom Fields
Step 4 – Creating a new field
Now you know how to create a template and a page using that template. You could create more pages using the same template if you wanted to. But that wouldn't be particularly useful – this template file is just a static HTML file.
Lets make it dynamic by creating some fields and adding them to it. We are going to create 3 fields to represent the pieces of data that currently appear in our static template. These include the planet's type, age in years, and a brief summary. We will call these fields:
- In ProcessWire admin, click Setup > Fields. This screen shows a list of fields currently in the system, most of which are general purpose fields for the basic profile. For the purposes of this tutorial, we are going to ignore those and create our own.
- Click the Add New Field button. On the next screen, enter
planet_typefor the Name, select "Text" as the Type, and enter "Planet Type" for the Label. Then click the Save Field button. Now that your field is saved, you are on the Field Edit screen. At this point, your field is created and ready to be added to your planet template.
- Optional but recommended: While editing your field, click the details tab where you'll see a select box for Text Formatters. Select "HTML Entity Encoder" – this ensures that characters like
&will be converted to HTML entities and not confused as HTML tags. While not required, it's a good practice for text fields like this. After you've done that, click the Save Field button.
Step 5 – Creating more new fields
In step 4 we created the planet_type field. Now we want to create the
planet_summary fields. So in this step, you'll want to do the same thing for the remaining two fields:
- Create the
planet_agefield exactly like you created the planet_type field, but enter "Planet age in years" for the label.
- Create the
planet_summaryfield exactly like you created the
planet_typefield, but chose "Textarea" as the Type and enter "Planet summary" for the label.
Note that a "textarea" field is just like a "text" field, except that it can contain multiple lines of text.
Step 6 – Adding new fields to your template
Now that you've created 3 new fields, you need to add them to your planet template.
- In ProcessWire admin, click Setup > Templates > planet. You are now editing your planet template.
- In the Fields select box, choose
planet_summary. You will see each added to the list. Cick the Save Template button.
Step 7 – Editing a page using your template
Now that you have new fields added to your template, go back and edit the Earth page you created earlier and populate the new fields that are on it.
- In ProcessWire admin, click Pages at the top, then click the Earth page, and click the edit button that appears to the right of it.
- You are now editing the Earth page you created earlier. You should see the new fields you added, waiting for text.
- Enter "Terrestrial planet" for Planet Type
- Enter "4.54 billion" for Planet Age in Years
- Paste in the text below for Planet Summary and then click Save.
Earth (or the Earth) is the third planet from the Sun, and the densest and fifth-largest of the eight planets in the Solar System. It is also the largest of the Solar System's four terrestrial planets. It is sometimes referred to as the World, the Blue Planet, or by its Latin name, Terra.
Next: The Template File »
- Introduction and First Steps
- Create a Template and a Page
- Setting up Custom Fields
- The Template File
- More Pages
Your e-mail is kept confidential and not included with your comment. Website is optional.